Friday, September 21, 2012

Dye your own peacoat!


This was my little sisters peacoat that she was selling at our garage sale. It fit well but at the time I already had a black peacoat. I decided to try something new and bleach the CRAP out of it and then dye it.
I used a big bucket, placed 1 cup of bleach and then added hot water. I stirred it around then added my black peacoat. I then added more hot water till the water covered the peacoat by an inch. I let it sit for 2 hours. I would stir it around every 30 minutes or so just to make sure all the folds got bleached.
After two hours i disposed of the bleach water and rinsed the coat with hot water, then did it all over again TWO more times. I even let the coat sit in there over night. I know bleach eats away cloth but the coat held up great. Since it was black I had a long way to go to get it a light enough color to dye.
After bleaching it. I put it in the wash with hydrogen peroxide which counter acts the bleach. I dried it and this is what it looked like.
Not quite off white but it was a pale pale pink. I bought three boxes of Rit dye called Scarlet Red. I really wanted a Blood Red peacoat so I gave it a shot. I first only used one box of dye and followed the directions. It came out as a soft peach color. I then decided to try it again with two more boxes of dye. The directions specify to let it soak in the the dye bath for 30 minutes which I did about an hour, and I also added 1 cup of salt to the dye bath to help better dye the coat. The final product was a beautiful dark peach color (the computer makes it look orange, its not orange even though that would have looked good too. Not blood red as I originally wanted but I still love the color.
I cannot wait to wear this for FALL! I love my peacoats, scarfs, sweaters and jeans. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit his website https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.
    WhatsApp number : +2348132777335
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Thank you all for reading,
    God bless"

    ReplyDelete